Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Random music thoughts

I have decided that I need more music in my life, not just by listening to music but to actually play an instrument myself again. I have a rather big keyboard and a violin, the violin is terribly out of tune though, and the keyboard is quite bulky, it really needs to be on its stand when playing but then it takes too much space so I tend to keep it on my lap which is pretty painful, plus some of its keys are weird, don't know why.
Anyways, I can probably tune my violin if I want to, but I'm not too sure about my neck agreeing with playing violin these days. So I've decided that I'm going to try guitar instead! I'm going to buy an acoustic guitar and try to learn some on my own with the help of YouTube tutorials and by listening to my favorite music. If Freddie and the others in Queen could learn their instruments on their own and on top of it write the most epic music ever written, then I should be able to at almost 30, learn to play some! My overly hypermobile hands may even be a benefit for playing since I can reach pretty far between one finger and the other, something that was an advantage already in my violin days well over 10 years ago. I took lessons between August 1996 and April 2002 so yeah, it's quite a long time ago now!

To start with, I'll just buy a really cheap guitar, no use spending a lot of money on something I don't know if I'll like or can manage. But should I end up having any talent I may consider buying something better then.

I've pretty much settled with going with a steel string acoustic guitar after asking around and trying to research some about the different options.

To me, music is so much more than just music, it's a way for me to manage my pain as I can hopefully numb the pain some by focusing on the music I listen to at the time. I'm hoping that playing guitar will keep my brain busy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment