Thursday, July 3, 2014

Cervical instability and headaches, plus some other odds and ends.

I'm in a period of headaches again it seems. I totally overdid it on Friday when a friend and I went out of town for a day's leisure with some shopping and a trip to the indoor adventure pool where we stayed for about 6 hours, playing in the pool with wave machine, riding the water slide, jumping into the water from the trampoline, relaxing in the sauna or jaccuzzi and taking quick dips in the cold water pool which had a water temperature of about 10C or 50F. On top of the long day out and all the activity I also drove both ways as my friend doesn't have a drivers license.
I don't know if the headache is just from totally overdoing it on Friday, or if it's my unstable neck throwing one of its random hissy fits, or if it's a combination of overdoing it and a random hissy fit. My guess is that it is the latter! Either way, you know your neck is bad when putting in some metal scrap in the neck to stabilize it sounds like a good idea even though that would be a very major surgery...
I really hate these headaches! They're so debilitating and no morphine in the world can ease the pain in my neck and at the base of my skull and the headache, the only things I can do is to lie down or wear my Aspen Vista cervical collar, preferably lie down WITH the Aspen Vista collar. Fortunately I do not get light and sound sensitivity as I do with migraines, so I can at least use my laptop when having one of those cervical headaches, I often end up watching a movie unless I just sleep in an attempt to sleep the headache away.

I'm at least feeling a bit better now than I did just some hours ago. I both looked and felt more dead than alive during a Google+ hangout with some friends earlier tonight, when the headache hit me less than an hour before the hangout began, I even considered skipping the hangout today because I felt so awful and just wanted to rest, but these hangouts are like the highlight of the week so I really don't want to miss one if I'm just at home at the time! If I'm out somewhere, I even do all I can to be home on time to attend the hangouts, that's how important it is to me!

On a totally different note. I'm beginning to feel I need to make some adjustments on my wheelchair. I've had it coming for a while, but now I definitely think I shall call my occupational therapist to make an appointment at the wheelchair center for some technician to make adjustments to improve my positioning in the chair and make the wheelchair fit me even better. One of the things I'd like to change is the angle of the backrest, it's currently slightly reclined but I'd like to try adjusting it to straight instead to see if that makes it more comfortable. I'd also- if possible, want the backrest to be lowered slightly. If possible I'd also like to change the axle so the camber goes from 4 degrees to just 2 degrees or even 0 to make the wheelchair more compact. May also need to make some adjustment to the center of gravity, but I'm not sure. There's both pro and con with making the chair more tippy than it is now. Pro would be easier to pull a wheelie and stay there. Con would be easier to fall backwards. I am used to the setting I have at the moment and I'm really good at wheelies, I just sometimes feel the chair is a bit front heavy which isn't needed since my balance in it is very good, and the front heaviness makes it a bit more difficult to keep the wheelie when rolling down a ramp for example. But I'll see, seeing it's the major vacation period here now, I'll probably have to wait until August or so before anything can be done to my wheelchair so the staff at the wheelchair center can focus on emergencies instead, either emergency repairs on wheelchairs or urgent fitting for new wheelchair users who need a chair ASAP for one reason or another.
While I do want to have the adjustments made quite soon, it's not like it's an emergency so I don't have to have it done while many of the technicians are on vacation!

Having a couple of events coming in the next week and a half too. One meetup with EDS friends which will include a boat trip to some island in the archipelago, and next week another EDS friend from another part of the country is coming to this area, or well, at least much closer than usual as she'll be about 50 miles away compared to over 300 miles, so I'm hoping to go see her when she's in the area! But much of it depends on my neck. If I can only do one activity I'll definitely choose seeing my friend who's normally not in this area, my other friends are people I meet at least about once every month so if I have to cancel one meetup I'll just see them soon enough anyways. I'm hoping my neck and the rest of my body will behave though so I can do both activities! Just going to rest as much as I possibly can for the next couple of days, hoping that it will be enough.

Now I really need to sleep, it's 5am and already light outside. Just this headache has kept me awake most of the night as I haven't been able to get comfortable... Been watching a movie to have something to do before writing this post, but now I'm utterly exhausted so fuck this headache, I'm going to sleep!

1 comment:

  1. have read the actual post AS WELL AS recognize added thing exactly about Garden Headache.This effect can be very harmful with regard to any one.If an individual Visit this web site you in 2010 realize That how This has effective regarding all of us AND ALSO people astonished what a good dangerous else the particular is!If people get added specifics please click here headaches

    ReplyDelete