Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Thoughts about Queen, Brian May and Roger Taylor

After my trip to Poland and the Queen+Adam Lambert concert, I began to dive into the solo work that Brian and Roger have made both before and after Freddie's passing. I have to say, I'm growing really fond of their solo albums as well, especially Roger's album Happiness? from 1994, it has several songs that I really like, such as the song Happiness, Foreign Sand, Old Friends and of course, Nazis 1994! The song Nazis 1994 may raise many eyebrows when just reading the title, I sure as heck wondered when I first heard about it, but it's actually an anti-nazi song and Roger greatly dislikes nationalism, bigotry, discrimination and fascism. Dare say that made me like him even more! Best drummer ever, great musician in general and with an amazing voice, PLUS having such great opinions when it comes to human rights!

I haven't heard as much from Brian yet, but I like what I've heard this far! Back to the light is really beautiful! It's really no wonder he's been voted the best guitarist more than once now, just this weekend he was voted the best guitarist again in a rock magazine! He sure knows how to play his guitar in ways that you wouldn't think was possible. But even being the best guitarist in the world, he always seem so modest and gentle and keep both feet on the ground, his voice is also very soft and soothing. Then he has his Save Me Trust to give wild animals a voice, along with being a very brilliant astrophysicist/astronomer (not sure if it's one or both, but he's indeed Dr Brian May these days) and like Roger, a very good songwriter and musician in general!

I quite wish it was possible to just invite them over one day, not because they're heroes to me and are part of my favorite band ever, but because I think they seem to be really nice people to be around and just sit and talk with about things in general like awareness for HIV and The Mercury Phoenix Trust that they started after Freddie's death, animal rights, human rights, music, outer space and whatnot, just general chitchat with no journalists involved or interviews and such.
I know it's not at all likely to happen though, they're both very busy with their various projects with and without Queen, along with being husbands and family fathers. But yeah, should I ever get to meet them, I'd probably not be completely starstruck unless I accidentally bumped into one or both on the street without being prepared for it. Even the greatest stars walking on this planet are just regular people when they're off stage!


It's actually Roger's song Old Friends that made me write this post in a haste before I'm off to sleep. I played that song for mum on YouTube the other day, and then it hit her, and me, that no other band or band members have done so many songs and tributes to a lost band member! You won't hear The Beatles play tribute songs for John Lennon, and I haven't heard a Nirvana song for Kurt Cobain, nor have I heard any tribute for Michael Jackson from his own brothers! But Queen has made songs for Freddie, and Freddie is still always with them in spirit! Brian and Roger also finished the album with the last songs that Freddie sang before his death, Made In Heaven is a beautiful album, though some of the songs are just heart wrenching, like Mother Love which is the last recording of Freddie's voice, he didn't even finish the song, he never came back to sing the last verse so Brian sang it to finish the song.
Just shows what amazing people Brian and Roger are, and how much Freddie meant to them. Freddie wasn't just the lead singer, he was one of their best friends!



As for John, Freddie meant a lot for John as well, and I'm not going to speculate on why he choose to retire. I do know however, from reading, that John lost his father at a very young age, and Freddie was like an older brother to him, I've heard Freddie's passing hit him very hard. The reason I don't mention John much is purely because I respect his wish to be retired. He's never forgotten and I hope he's happy with his family and living the quiet life that he wishes, without being chased by paparazzi all the time!
This video is the last time John performed as part of Queen, many fans hope that he'll return one day, but we also know it's not likely, and again, I just hope he is happy with his family and having the quiet life that he wishes to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment