Friday, April 4, 2014

The Desolation Of Smaug

So, I finally got to see part two in The Hobbit trilogy, The Desolation Of Smaug.
I'll have to admit that I really enjoyed the movie, it's incredibly well made just like all other movies Peter Jackson has made based on books by Tolkien, and all while it's a movie which has its own story just based off the book, I do think the movie does follow the story of the book pretty well. It has the essentials in it even though, as always, there are also essential parts missing. I don't know if the extended version of the movie(s) would be any different as I've not seen them, but I have a feeling that it may cover more, the extended version of Lord Of The Rings trilogy does at least. I'll have to watch the extended version of The Hobbit trilogy in the future, probably when the third movie is out as well so I can watch the entire trilogy in one day.

I don't want to write any spoilers here because I know there's probably quite many out there who are like me- people who have been waiting to watch the movie at home instead of running of to the nearest movie theater the day the movie came.
I personally much prefer watching a movie at home where there's no people talking around, no sounds of candy bags and no people in front of you or in the same row, trying to go use the bathroom in mid movie. So, in other words, it's been a long time since I last went to a movie theater, three to four years if I'm not mistaken.

There are some things in the movie that bothers me slightly, but I also know it's just a movie based off the book, and it has to look good all while each movie has to be kept within a time frame where people can actually watch the entire movie in one sitting. So I can see why they've made it the way they did, even though I don't agree with all of it. It's mainly the time IN the movie that bothers me, those of us watching the movie after reading the book knows they spend more time in the book than in the movie, the movie is very hurried in a sense for those who have read the book.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the extended versions one day. I often find the extended version to be better than the regular version when I watch a movie, many of the scenes they've cut out in the regular version are often either very funny or essential to the story or both, and I'm sure that will be the case with The Hobbit trilogy as well.

Extra thumbs up for the movie music! The theme song for The Desolation Of Smaug is really nice, and I also like the theme song for There And Back Again (and Lord Of The Rings trilogy for that matter). Good music in a movie really makes a big difference in the overall movie experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment