Friday, April 5, 2013

Seeing music

Sometimes music can be very full of scenery and local attitude and you can actually see the places where it comes from. Now with something like Asian music or Spanish/South American music it's not hard to place on the map, but American music can be harder to place on the map unless it's country music which for the most part comes from a specific area.

The song I'm talking about is not area specific when it comes to music style, but I just knew where it was from before I looked it up on Wikipedia because I've been to the same city. I'm talking about AWOLNATION's song Sail! When I hear it, I see the broad boulevards, low buildings (for those who doesn't know, only the city core of LA has proper skyscrapers) and the big, often pimped cars of Los Angeles and I feel the attitude of the city in the music and remember cruising back and forth on Sunset Boulevard and other boulevards and with my own eyes seeing the things I see in the music now. I was in Los Angeles in September 2003 so it's almost 10 years ago now, but I still remember so many things from when I was there, even details of places and routes we went.

There's just something about the beats and attitude of the song that shouts Los Angeles so loud it can be heard all the way to Sweden!
I wasn't at all surprised when I looked up AWOLNATION on Wikipedia and saw they're from Los Angeles.

I often see music by the way, always have :) A lot of music has a visual story to tell, if you just close your eyes and see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment