Friday, April 5, 2013

The importance of letting others know

With some conditions or medications wearing a dog tag or other kind of medical alert is a must or at least strongly recommended, a small piece of jewelry with that information on can save your life and make you receive the right treatment faster.
What many with a condition don't realize is that even if you're not taking certain medicines or being at high risk due to your medical condition, it can still be a good idea to wear something to let others know what is wrong with you, just in case you'd ever need the assistance from other people or medical staff.
I have been considering getting some kind of alert item for some time now due to my EDS and the fact I've been close to passing out a handful or more times from it.
The other day I finally ordered a small leather bracelet with the text EDS-TYP3 on a metal plate on it, it's small, discrete, looks like any kind of custom made bracelet when you just see it at a distance, but if you take a closer look at it you see the text on it.
Should I ever need medical attention and not being able to communicate myself, this bracelet means someone can look up my condition and know faster how to treat it, or at least be alerted that I have a condition that may require different care than your average Joe does.
I got this bracelet purely for my own safety and as a small insurance in case of emergency.
I know a lot of people don't want to wear medical alert items because it's too visible but that's really kinda stupid if you have a condition that requires different care than a person at full health, in case something happens to you.
I will eventually order a more formal medical alert bracelet with the alert icon on and more information, but this bracelet I got now is at least a start, a something that will make me feel safer in a discrete way when I'm out and about on my own, especially if I'm out of town where people don't know me personally.
The picture is a close up of my text, the bracelet itself is just a simple black leather bracelet and the style of the whole thing is the kind of bracelet more or less everyone wears now with custom text on.

No comments:

Post a Comment